The main findings of the 2021 survey are:
- Total permanent, full-time employment (PFT) in agency-assisted companies operating in the Industrial and Services sectors amounted to 451,945 in 2021, an increase of 6.8% (28,909 jobs) on 2021 employment levels, continuing the trend of growth in employment since 2012.
- Gross PFT job gains for 2021 are 45,176, which is up on the 2020 figure of 37,917 and gross PFT job losses were -16,267 down from -26,414 in 2020. Part-time and temporary employment in agency-assisted firms increased by 292 jobs in 2021 to reach 39,693. This brings total employment to 491,638 in 2021, an increase of 6.3% compared to 2020.
- Total permanent, full-time employment among Irish-owned companies amounted to 187,481 in 2021, an increase of 11,231 jobs (6.4%) compared to 2021. This is the tenth year of positive employment growth for Irish-owned firms. Irish-owned companies account for 41.5% of total fulltime employment in agency-assisted firms in 2021 compared with a 44.3% share in 2012. Permanent full-time employment in Irish-owned firms increased by 63,346 or 51.0% between 2012 and 2021, from 124,135 to 187,481 respectively. Part-time temporary jobs increased by 2,548 in 2021 to reach 18,992.
- Among foreign-owned companies, total permanent, full-time employment amounted to 264,464. In 2021, there was an increase of 17,678 jobs (7.2%) over the previous year and it was the tenth successive year of growth. Permanent full-time employment in foreign-owned firms stood at 155,863 in 2012 and increased by 69.7% or 108,601 jobs by 2021. Part-time, temporary employment in foreign-owned firms decreased by 1,057 jobs (-4.9%) since 2020.
- The Border Midlands and West (BMW), Dublin, and the South and East (S&E) regions all saw increases in employment compared to 2020 levels, giving a tenth consecutive year of employment growth for those regions.
- The South and East (S&E) region remains the largest region in terms of employment, accounting for 187,819 jobs, or 41.6% of total agency full-time employment, followed by the Dublin region with Annual Employment Survey 2021 6 175,830 full-time jobs (38.9%) and the Border, Midlands and West (BMW) region with 88,296 employed (19.5%). Over the 10-year period, 2021 is the year with the highest level of employment for all regions.